(Shall I call you a coward because you are afraid to read this article?)
By Ken Blue
I had a “friend” of Face Book until I called into question a vulgar sign she had posted. Her response was to tell me where to go, which I cannot because of Jesus, and to stay off her page. I was glad to do the latter. I did not mention sin, nor did I accuse her of sinning. Regardless, I was informed that she did not like anyone telling her she was a sinner.
None of us likes to be called sinners, or face what we really are. But, the facts can’t be hidden, even on Face Book.
I will not call YOU a sinner; I’ll let you decide for yourself. If you don’t like the word “sinner,” find a more appealing synonym. Let’s run the test.
- “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” Exodus 20:3. I am sure you don’t have anyone or anything you have replaced God with. GUILTY!
- “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:” Exodus 20:4. Do you have any material objects you put ahead of God? GUILTY!
- “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.” Exodus 20:7. Do I need to say anything about this? GUILTY!
- “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.” Exodus 20:8. I am sure you have always set aside a day, just for God. GUILTY!
- “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” Exodus 20:12. I am sure your mother and dad would be proud of you, if they knew you like you know you. GUILTY!
- “Thou shalt not kill.” Exodus 20:13. Ah, you say, I have never killed anyone. Did you ever want to? Then you are a murder in your heart. GUILTY!
- “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Exodus 20:14. Jesus says, if you have lusted after someone, you have committed adultery in your heart. GUILTY!
- “Thou shalt not steal.” Exodus 20:15. GUILTY!
- “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.” Exodus 20:16. Ever tell a lie? GUILTY!
- Thou shalt not covet…” Exodus 20:17. Ever want that which belonged to another? GUILTY!
You see, when you go by your own standards, you can be better than anyone. But, when you judge yourself by God’s truth, you are GUILTY on all accounts. That’s not good.
Now, if you don’t want to be classified as a sinner, we will help you with some other descriptions. In fact, we will let God describe you.
“There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: 14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: 15 Their feet are swift to shed blood: 16 Destruction and misery are in their ways: 17 And the way of peace have they not known: 18 There is no fear of God before their eyes. 19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” Romans 3:11-23.
Is this a correct description of you?
Pastor Ken Blue was born in Boswell, Ark. In 1955 he accepted Christ as his Savior. He and his wife Joyce were married in 1955. They have 5 children. He graduated from Midwestern Baptist Bible College in 1969 and started the Open Door Baptist Church in Lynnwood, Wa. where he pastored for 39 years. Because of health issues (ALS) he was forced to resign as pastor. It is his desire to continue to be used of God to help pastors and believers through this ministry.