By Ken Blue
- The love of sin. One of the reasons religious people lack assurance of salvation is because of their love of sin. God will not give anyone assurance who chooses to live in sin. “19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.” John 3:19-20.
- Blind as to how to be saved. Most of the human race is blind as to how to be saved. “But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” 2 Corinthians 4:3-6.
- A lack of character and conviction. Many, who have responded to some altar call, or a tragedy, forget it within a week. This is called “foxhole” or “jailhouse” religion. These have no depth of conviction, or understanding of true salvation. “But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; 21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while:” Matthew 13:20-21.
- They think you can’t know. Multitudes are confident you can’t know for sure if you have eternal life. However, the Bible makes is clear that you can know. “And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.” 1 John 5:11-13. What is there about those verses you do not understand?
- Ignorance of what the Bible says. Of course, this is the number one reason men and women have no assurance of salvation. It is a matter of personal ignorance of what the Bible says. This was why the nation of Israel was not saved when Jesus came to them. “Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.” Romans 10:1-4.
- Entrusting their salvation to their church or religion. Nothing blinds men and women to the truth of salvation, like religion. One cannot read the Gospels and early Acts without witnessing the blindness of religious people. Any church that teaches that you must belong to it, be baptized, take the sacraments, keep the Law, or maintain religious works is false, and blinds one to the true gospel of grace. “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9. “For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” Romans 10:10. “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Romans 10:13.
- They love the praise of friends. “How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?” John 5:44. Is that why you are not saved?
- Never saved in the firs place. “Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:22-23. Salvation is not a profession; it is a present possession. Either you are saved now, or you are unsaved. There is no middle ground.
I have included in this article the clear plan of salvation, if you are not sure how to be saved, you can find out by reading the above again. Don’t be deceived by the world, the church, or the Devil. You can and you must KNOW!
Pastor Ken Blue was born in Boswell, Ark. In 1955 he accepted Christ as his Savior. He and his wife Joyce were married in 1955. They have 5 children. He graduated from Midwestern Baptist Bible College in 1969 and started the Open Door Baptist Church in Lynnwood, Wa. where he pastored for 39 years. Because of health issues (ALS) he was forced to resign as pastor. It is his desire to continue to be used of God to help pastors and believers through this ministry.
Leave a Reply