By Ken Blue
Although God has blessed us with many great blessings in this dispensation, it is interesting to see how He blessed and equipped the early church. Several “great things” are found in Acts 4-5:16.
1. We have a record of a great many conversions. “4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.” “14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.”
2. They experienced great opposition. “6 And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.” “17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.”
3. They had great boldness. “13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.”
4. They demonstrated great faith. “24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is.”
5. Great Bible knowledge. “25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?”
6. Great expectation. “30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.”
7. There was great unity. “32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.”
8. Great power. “33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.”
9. Great grace. “33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.”
10. Great sacrifice. “he apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. 34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,”
11. Great fear. “5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.” “11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.”
12. Great miracles. “16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.”
These are a few of the “Great things” in this section. You, no doubt, can find more. A pastor could build a great sermon, or a great series of messages from these.
Pastor Ken Blue was born in Boswell, Ark. In 1955 he accepted Christ as his Savior. He and his wife Joyce were married in 1955. They have 5 children. He graduated from Midwestern Baptist Bible College in 1969 and started the Open Door Baptist Church in Lynnwood, Wa. where he pastored for 39 years. Because of health issues (ALS) he was forced to resign as pastor. It is his desire to continue to be used of God to help pastors and believers through this ministry.