TOO COWARD TO USE BIBLICAL INSTRUMENTS
There must be some logical explanation as to why we go to the Old Testament to support a doctrine or a standard, and then tiptoe past obvious passages which teach an unavoidable truth. That truth is the use of instruments in worship and praise.
However, if you want to see a pastor squirm and crawfish, challenge him on why he ignores this clear teaching in the Word of God.
If you don’t believe Baptist are cowards, in this matter, observe how they are chained to the piano and the organ. They actually fear to introduce any of the following instruments.
Cowardly Baptist chain themselves to the piano and the organ only.
- And his brother’s name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ. Genesis 4:21
- “… with psalteries…with cymbals…with trumpets continually before the ark of the covenant of God.” 1 Chronicles 16:5-6.
- “With… cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.” Psalms 98:6.
- “And all the people came up after him, and the people piped with pipes, and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth rent with the sound of them.” 1 Kings 1:40.
- “And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe…” Isaiah 5:12.
- “And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.” Exodus 15:20.
- “…the king stood by a pillar …and the trumpeters by the king, and all the people of the land rejoiced, and blew with trumpets…” 2 Kings 11:14
- “…And when the burnt offering began, the song of the LORD began also with the trumpets, and with the instruments ordained by David king of Israel.” 2 Chronicles 29:27
- “…the viol, and invent to themselves instruments of musick, like David.” Amos 6:5
- “And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.” 1 Chronicles 13:8.
- “ Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.” Psalms 150:3-5.
All of the above were used by Israel to serve and praise God. You will find all kinds of stringed, wind and percussion instruments in the above list. Really, don’t you shun them because you fear the brethren? “The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.” Proverbs 29:25.
Pastor Ken Blue was born in Boswell, Ark. In 1955 he accepted Christ as his Savior. He and his wife Joyce were married in 1955. They have 5 children. He graduated from Midwestern Baptist Bible College in 1969 and started the Open Door Baptist Church in Lynnwood, Wa. where he pastored for 39 years. Because of health issues (ALS) he was forced to resign as pastor. It is his desire to continue to be used of God to help pastors and believers through this ministry.